Wednesday 13 April 2016

A-Z Challenge 2016: K is for Kate J M Murch 1877

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com
Kate J M Murch was born in 1877 to Henry James Murch and Susan Dickason in Balsall Heath, Worcestershire, England.  In the 1881 census the family is living at 6 Balsall Heath Road, Kings Norton, Worcestershire; Kate’s father Henry is a saddler.

By 1891, her older sister, Alice (now aged 24) is enumerated as a Professor of Music, while their father is listed as a “brown saddler”.  This mystified me at first.  A 'brown saddler' made riding saddles - but there was also such a person as a 'black saddler', who made saddles for carts and gigs - in black leather.  
 


Kate Murch features in the Murch Surname Study.

© 2016 Ros Haywood. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I found this very interesting, Ros. Firstly because I consider Worcestershire my home county (even though I now live in Germany) but also that the sister was called Alice - my daughter's name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also found the brown or black saddlers fascinating - something I had never heard of before. (And I have quite a few of my own ancestors called Alice!) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes include blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You May Also Be Interested In...